Friday, April 19, 2013

Besan Laddu Recipe - Diwali Sweets

I am not a very big fan of sweets until married. VJ loves them a lot. So I started learning them just for the sake of him and slowly started liking them too :-) Besan laddu is a delicious sweet made for several special occasions. It is made out of roasted gram flour, ghee, raisin, nuts and sugar The trick for getting this right is to roast the gram flour perfectly. If I am preparing the sweet just for me and my family I will try to minimize the quantity of sugar and buttery products in my recipe. So they may not be in perfect shapes bcos of less ghee, but still will taste good. But if I am preparing for any special occasion or for my friends and relatives, then no compromise in any of the ingredients. You can reduce the quantity of ghee from one and a half cups to 1 cup if you are too health conscious.

Ingredients:

Besan flour - 2 1/2 cups
Sugar          - 1 1/2 cup
Ghee           - 1 1/2 cup approximately
Raisins and Nuts of your choice chopped into fine pieces.

Method:

  1. Fry the nuts and raisins in 1 or 2 tsp of ghee and keep aside.
  2. Powder the sugar finely and set aside.
  3. Roast the besan flour until a nice aroma rises. Do not over roast or under roast the besan flour. Else you will not get the nice taste out of the laddoo's.
  4. Let it cool and then add the powdered sugar. Heat the ghee and mix this warm ghee with the besan, sugar mixture.
  5. Add the fried nuts/raisins. Make smooth balls of desired size. Grease your palms with little bit of ghee for nice and smooth balls. I used to avoid this as I would think I can cut down atleast that much of ghee from my laddoo's. You could see that in my laddoo's :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I just love hearing from you!